CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

MEET OUR DAUGHTER


At 2pm yesterday we drove down to a government office, began filling in paperwork (lots of signatures, each with a thumbprint in red ink) and at a certain point, Hong Mei walked in with her foster mother, foster aunt and a couple cheerful officials. As you see, the foster mother took a lot of care and dressed her in a green mylar princess dress and had filled a pink back pack full of her favourite treats. She also had on a new pair of "squeaky shoes" which are popular in China - little squeakers in each sole that make noise with each step.

We exchanged gifts with the foster mother who was trying not to cry in front of the baby, and she made a swift exit, leaving us the baby's favourite toy. The bad news is that the toy is a loud red gadget which plays "Oh Susannah" over and over. The good news is that Hong Mei is mesmerised by it, which has been very handy.

We had a great night together. She ate and slept well and even joked around a little bit. However, it must have been a painful day for her to leave the foster mother she has loved for over a year. We are both a little tingly and jittery and can't get our heads around this experience. In a way it's crazy, in a way it's natural. I guess it's the same for all new parents.

7 comments:

Dono Knowlton said...

OH SUSANNAH!

Holy Cow! I am all chocked up and feeling the fear and excitement and love all over again. Such a sweet little Southern Belle (re: Oh Susannah)!

I love the outfit - an actress already - I know an agent...

Sigh!

Can't wait to meet her and give her a big squeeze (in the meantime, please be my proxy).

-- Dono

Catherine Burnett said...

I almost fell out of my chair when your wonderful photo filled my computer screen. What a beautiful family photo! Hong Mei is a gorgeous little princess--I love the dress and the pink backpack!

I suspect that there was a lot of communication between Hong Mei's foster mother and her, so I'm sure she understands that she's now with her forever family.

I am so proud of you, Maria! I so look forward to hearing all about your new life, and of course, I hope to meet your precious daughter someday.

Thank you again for sharing your joy with your family and friends. I am so happy for you all!

--Catherine

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Congratulations! She is just so adorable! That is wonderful that she had such a caring foster mom!

septicsue said...

Congratulations, she is adorable! I am sure she will get used to and attached to you very soon, especially at that age. What size clothing does she wear? Auntie Susan likes to shop for baby and toddler clothing....

Linda said...

What a beautiful daughter you have. A great looking family!!! You can tell she was loved. With wish's for an easy attachment.. Linda

Anne-Catherine said...

Quelle belle image.
Nous vous suivons via votre blog.
Toutes nos félicitations!
bons baisers,
Anne-Catherine et Stéphane

Kristi said...

Your daughter is beautiful!